Singer Rachel Brown's team sent me a promotional CD a few weeks ago to share with my readers. I listened to it all the way through and put it aside. I listened a second time for a critique and put it aside again. I listened a third time as part of my iTunes mix to see if I liked the music. After all, I wanted to give my open honest opinion before I shared this with you guys.
1. Rachel Brown has a good, big voice.
2. The CD grooves.
3. The lyrics are honest and meaningful, I really like that.
#6 Spend The Night
#8 Where Did We Go Wrong
There are some points of constructive criticism I would like to make.
- Too much voice. It's as if someone is singing with the mike too loud and the music too low. As I mentioned earlier, she has a big voice. IMO, her big voice sounds great but lacks nuance. Wow me with the subtle, sweet tones before going to the big crescendo.
- The production is poor in some places not all. I used to intern with a burgeoning record label, I also recorded with a gospel ensemble a few years ago. The issues were similar.
- Too many songs, not enough cohesion. Also the same problem with my other experiences mentioned above. I know what it is to get excited with something new and want to include everything on the plate. When you glob it all on, none of it is too appetizing.
I bet she kicks butt live, though.
But hey, what do I know. I will ask that you guys take a listen and drop your opinions in the comments. Thanks. Thank you to Israel Charles of CEO Urban Music Group for sending this over.